Monthly Archives: January 2011
A netbook is perfect to be used as a download rig, as it is made with battery life in mind, and consumes way less power than even a laptop (not to mention desktops). Yet, it has enough processing power to upload and download stuff.. so- for those that dont want ‘just’ a download rig- a nebook is the next best thing. So here i kinda log what a plan to configure (a set-up if you will)…
- jdownloader which starts at boot.
- Transmission client.
- lighttpd which serves the download folder to those who give a …
… Jdownloader has a web-access plug-in, as does Transmission. Both these can downlaod files to the lighttpd www folder… and plus, running jdownloader without graphical mode, in tty2 proves to require lesser resources
Note:These are meaningless notes, Do NOT try to make head or tail of it – lest you may start seeing tails on the middle and heads on that tail. (pun fully inteded). Me no responsible
Dropbox is neat. really neat. real good too. 2Gig for a free user when they start. Not to mention the really cool nautilus extension they have for ubuntu linux.
The thing is hellishly addictive and the super-sleek sync feature leaves the heart wanting more. So now i have two dropbox accounts set-up and and combined with my ubuntu-one account, that makes a total of 6GB in pure sync-ready clouds in my little netbook.
Here is how to configure a second dropbox account in ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition:
1. Dont be shy, go on and fire-up the terminal.
HOME=$HOME/.dropbox-shared /home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox start -i
2. Complete the setup, and choose selective sync (advanced) , and sync only the Public folder.. Now add dropbox so that it will autostart.
‘HOME=$HOME/.dropbox-shared /home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox start`
3. After that, exit all instances of the second dropbox. now symlink the Public folder in your home dir with the Public folder in ~/.dropbox-shared/Dropbox/Public …
4. Hopefully, thats that and the end of this madness, so now – my Public folder syncs with a second dropbox account, that i plan to use sole-ly for public purposes. Its all done and the whole thing costs nada.
Friendly Note: The icons are part of an icon set,search for it – its made by Incognitus..